Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Gifts

I had a thought today concerning consumption. How do you reduce the amount of "stuff" that people send you as gifts? Many times people get you things that you may not use. How does this fit into your consumption....even though you did not buy it?

Secondly, one idea to reduce consumption is the old fashion idea of reusable silverware and plates....even better a reusable "take out container". Please are amazed that I bring my lunch and that it is in a totally reusable container. I have a small stash of silverware in my desk and I have a cup at work. I am amazed how these small steps reduce so much and how many people have never thought of them. Think about all the travels of a ESF mug.

6 comments:

  1. I think about all the travels of our water bottles. Then I think of Major League Baseball, and how much I hate them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a full kitchen in our office yet, until recently, all of our "events" (staff potlucks, public workshops, meetings) would use paper plates, and plastic/styrofoam cups, and plastic untensils. This was despite the fact that the cupboards were all stocked with real plates, glasses, silverware and mugs. At staff potlucks and lunches it seemed only the Natural Resources Department people were using and washing real dishes. Finally, the board decided our office needed to be "green" and only use recycled and "environmentally friendly" paper products in the kitchen and other products in teh office. During the discussion of this during the staff meeting, someone in NR Dept suggested that we not use this disposable stuff at all and instead use the real dishes. PEOPLE FREAKED and a large discussion followed. Rediculous. Mostly over the issue of germs and that it would require dishwashing (we don't have a dishwasher) and the reliability of the dishwashing skills of people and whether that would lead to dirty dishes and germs, etc. Rediculous. It boggled my mind that people were so against using non-disposable kitchenware.

    Similarly, it also bothers me that every so often the topic comes up a staff meeting of getting a bottle water service. Using bottled water instead of tap water... which is City water... which are programs are directly linked to because of funding we get to work in teh Skan Lake Watershed to protect drinking water. "We" boast the quality of our programs, yet don't want to drink the water ourselves? And instead use water that comes in plastic. I will stop ranting. Our office now has a green committee tasked with improving all aspects of sustainability around the office.... I haven't heard any of their sugggestions yet but hopefully they will be good (BTW, Natural Resources staff were limited in participating on this committee- only 1 of us were allowed to be on it "in fairness to other groups in the office") Okay, now I will stop= sorry this is so long

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think people should buy carbon credits as gifts.

    I'm with ya on the utensils, I keep some at the office myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the name of Security, the Washington Nationals confiscated our favorite water bottle, rather, they would not let us in to the stadium without it. We had to choose between keeping our favorite nalgene bottle and going to the game. In retrospect, I wish we'd chosen the bottle, the game sucked, and we were just sitting there angry about having had to give up our bottle the whole time. Then they would not provide a suitable beverage for holding water. Had to buy a soda, or a BOTTLE of water... I hate MLB.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My ESF mug is on my desk at work. I think I freak people out by washing plastic silverware here at work. I keep forgetting to bring in actual silverware from home...

    Kelly - I understand how you feel about your office. It was just as mind-boggling trying to get things done at WWF (like printing double-sided on paper was a HUGE deal). I think people get stuck in their worlds and just resist any change that is mentioned. Your ranting makes me feel better - so keep at it!

    Bill and I are starting to realize the benefits of persistence with the gift thing. We've been at it for about 8 years? It started the Christmas after our November wedding when we were totally burned out on gifts and continued when we lived in a 700 square foot apartment. It is really, really hard to get people to understand. I'm sure we've made a few people mad...

    We did two things - 1) told people we didn't really need any "thing" as a gift (we used the small apartment or the close proximity to our wedding as the reasons) and gave them a list of charities we liked and asked for donations. It didn't really fly for the first few years, but we kept at it.

    Second - we stopped buying people things and gave them donations instead hoping that would drive the message home. Well...we stopped giving people lots of gifts. We try really hard to match the donation to the person so they know we were really thinking of them. Typically, we give someone a small gift (usually from a fair trade outlet, with info about how it is fair trade) and a related donation.

    This year we also asked the Moskals for a experience as a Christmas gift instead of stuff. We met them in Chicago a few weeks ago and had a really nice time. I think it is hard for people who like to give gifts to get used to this sort of idea, so it's important to be understanding of their needs too.

    I think most people really want to give "gifts" that are appreciated by the recipients, so it is ok to keep talking about these things with the givers. I think modeling the traditions you'd like to see is a really big deal too. I am guessing that a well-selected small, low-impact gift is more fun to give than a generic icky one. In this way, I think it helps to let people know why you picked out the gift for them and mention all the benefits you like of giving it (supports a good cause, fair trade, locally produced...whatever). They'll learn that these things are important to you and hopefully incorporate into their own giving.

    It does take a while and can be sensitive, but it may end up as a really enriching positive tradition.

    ReplyDelete