Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Craft green

After just posting about green-washing, I often think about arts and the making of crafts. So much of it uses bad chemicals, needs more stuff like material and things to make the project, and in the end--is it functional? What purpose does it serve?

I found this blog today Crafting a Green World, that re-uses materials for new projects. Not a new concept, but a nice reminder.

3 comments:

  1. Carrie asked a question at the greenwashing event concerning "carbon offsets". What a funny idea it is to me...I can pollute but as long as I BUY an offset then I am OK. The speaker spoke about Steve Jobs who has a Hummer and a Prius and clams that one offsets the other. When it is the total amount of chemicals released that causes a problem can we really offset what we produce? I know more and more companies are trying to do the right thing by purchasing offsets (at least until the economic turn down) but is it more "greenwashing" than actually reducing pollution?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In England, if you are married, you can pay this group to have an affair and they'll give your money to a couple who is faithful...how about them apples (or carbon offset)?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is Steve Wozniak (the other co-founder of Apple) that has a Hummer and a prius.

    Carbon offsets are helping to reforest the rainforest. But carbon offsets are like the fossil fuels they are meant to replace: limited in supply. As supply gets shorter they will get prohibitively expensive.

    We simply can not balance our carbon budget without offsets while we continue to use internal combustion engines, so carbon offsets are a necessary part of the short-term solution. Of course people and companies are going to turn to them first; its the easiest option! I'm not saying thats OK but its not a black and white answer.

    ReplyDelete