Electronic waste is very, very bad in terms of heavy metals. I have hopes for
RoHS certification improving this situation in the long-term, but for now all we have is recycling. Luckily, our solid waste solution in Syracuse is an incinerator, and they are not supposed to burn that stuff, so we (residents) have an excellent option for recycling electronic waste. I have had to dispose of this stuff from work and believe me its not that cheap (for businesses). Similarly, we (residents) have an excellent recycling program for batteries and CFL bulbs.
I would say that we have an excellent program for recycling in general, but we have a very limited number of plastics we can recycle, for some crazy reason.
But, in general, we love
OCRRA. Go there and voice your support for the expanded bottle bill!
A billion years ago when I was in a high school environmental science class, a Dutchess County recycling person told us the plastic was limited to 1s and 2s because they could be easily distinguished from each other. I think one floats and the other sinks in water? Maybe there isn't a process yet for separating other types of plastic?
ReplyDelete