Monday, March 2, 2009

Aww shoot

I have been inspired by a new blog I subscribed to to make a change in the food I eat in the name of health, cost, and the environment: Shoot more meat.  Birds, specifically. Turkeys, geese and ducks.  Hunting is one of those American traditions I believe in, but venison just never really appealed to me.  An old friend from college who is now a Conservation Officer invited me to shoot Canada geese last year.  I had visited Ducks Unlimited headquarters in Memphis for work a couple times when we lived in Kentucky, and I know a lot of old-timer shotgunners who love to shoot birds.  I always had a lot of fun trying to shoot turkeys with Dad (we never got one - yet), and I hate Canada geese and love a good rotisseried duck and all those old rustic french and italian meals that use waterfowl.  So it all kinda of makes sense.  I hope my trusty 'ol 16 gauge Springfield can cut it, I would HATE to buy another shotgun. ;)

2 comments:

  1. That sounds good to me!

    There's no shortage of delicious free-range organic critter-kabob wandering around. Between the deer and the geese, not to mention the pheasants and fluffy bunnies...

    The 16 is a great gun for pheasants/quail/grouse, etc. but if you're thinking about shooting some waterfowl or turkey, you might want to seriously consider (you know - proactively !!!) a 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge. I have a Benelli Nova that I am very fond of. Was very cheap, is indestructible/water/mud proof, and gets the job done quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there -- thanks for the kind words about Hunter Angler Gardener Cook! Good luck in your bird-hunting travels. As for shotguns, I shoot everything with a 20-gauge over-under, even Canadas. Your only issue with a 16-gauge will be finding quality non-toxic ammo for waterfowl, as most is made for either 12- or 20-gauge.

    ReplyDelete