Bill was reading me an article about the pink slime drama and how the cattle industry defended pink slime by basically saying "but cows are really bad for the environment, so eat the pink slime so we don't need to have X hundred thousand more cows."
And my first thought was, OR everyone could just eat less cow.
We had a steak this weekend. I think it was the first time in over a year that our red meat was cow. We were both amazed at how flavorless we found it to be. What other people describe as "gamey" about venison or lamb is what tastes like "meat" to us now. It was a weird moment.
It took me a little while to like venison and lamb, I will admit. But, there are so many other things we "acquire" tastes for (beer, coffee, blue cheese, olives...), I don't know why people get skeeved out by doing it for meat.
Apparently people are eating more lamb (which can't really be feed-lotted like cows, and apparently does better in drought conditions). We get a whole lamb each year from lovely folks that raise Katahdins. Penzeys makes amazing Turkish seasoning. A bit of ground lamb and some of that makes the best tacos in the world. I think it's probably the perfect gateway to lamb for anyone worried about gaminess. Yum!
David Korten's Keynote Presentation Now Online
15 years ago
I think people get skeeved out by eating cute baby animals. Same thing happened to veal. What no one realizes is that producers just wait 3 more months and change the term to beef. Same thing for poultry, the age of slaughter has artificially been brought forward.
ReplyDeleteBut, eating local beef often means grass fed, which is much closer to lamb in taste and impact than store beef. Personally, I would rather buy that than eat local lamb. There is too much variability in quality. Katahdin, known for mildness, is much different than some hoary jacobs sheep that has been eating skunk cabbage.
I think people get skeeved out by eating cute baby animals. Same thing happened to veal. What no one realizes is that producers just wait 3 more months and change the term to beef. Same thing for poultry, the age of slaughter has artificially been brought forward.
ReplyDeleteBut, eating local beef often means grass fed, which is much closer to lamb in taste and impact than store beef. Personally, I would rather buy that than eat local lamb. There is too much variability in quality. Katahdin, known for mildness, is much different than some hoary jacobs sheep that has been eating skunk cabbage.