Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"Material World" book

This is a fascinating concept, but I find the execution underwhelming. A bit too reinforcing of stereotypes, perhaps (really, the Russian family in the snow?).

If the book has some exposition it could be worth a look. I am wondering why that Texas family has no toys or books. It can't possibly be *all* their possessions.

Photos From Around the World of Families and Their Possessions

A family from Tokyo, settled on the sidewalk around their television, crowded by neatly organized electronic appliances, expelled closets, and prized heirloom pottery. Two wives, a husband, and their children in West Africa’s Mali, on the roof of their hut with the tools of their agricultural toils.

3 comments:

  1. And how does the Mongolian family in the yurt travel with a china cabinet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine if we put all out stuff out. I don't think our front lawn is big enough. But if we could get it all out there, maybe it would be time for a huge yard sale.

    ReplyDelete