Saturday, July 24, 2010

Ramblings about computers, cell phones and social networking

Note: Below is a pretty unorganized, very LONG, rambling about my thoughts on how, in some ways, cell phones, email and the internet (especially social networking technologies) are a negative consumption of QUALITY TIME. So, for those of you tech-savy, socially balanced people- feel free to disregard or not read it :)

Here's what I've been thinking about lately--- I seem to be spending an increasing amount of time using "computerized" (note: terms used in this email are probably not correct... I am not tech savvy). Why? And is this adding value to my life, or just the opposite?


For example, as of late, I use a cell phone, email, internet (for news/weather, as well as aimless surfing), picasa web albums, e-calendar, a number of internet sites that organize/journal various interests/hobbies (ie. Recipe collections for cooking, Raverly for knitting, Goodreads for books, Netflix for movies, Upromise for online shopping, etc), online banking, google reader for keeping track of a growing number of blogs, and most recently cell phone texting (a small, but new habit courtesy of our babysitter), and now facebook.

How do each of these impact my life, besides the fact that many of them increase the amount of time I spend in front of a computer monitor and/or eliminate the need for me to speak to another person face-to-face? (Not that that is always a bad thing) Take for example, the cell phone-- while admittedly it is convenient to have a phone with you and to make a call whenever you want-- When is your spouse coming home- Finding other people when separated in a crowded or large place-Need directions because you are lost and dont' want to pull over, the list goes on and on. However on the other hand, there is the irritating component that comes along with having a cell phone in that other people expect to be able to reach you at any time and any place and you are expected to answer and carry your cell phone (charged) at all times. Leaving your cell phone home or letting it run out of batteries is considered to be irresponsible. While I am often guilty of doing this and feel guilty for it... I always ask myself, on a day to day basis, when I am not embarking on a big trip, traveling out of town, or in some other way missing or causing alarm to other people -- WHY must I be reachable by phone at any given moment throughout the day? My phone seems like it is no long for conversational purposes, but for time-keeping and schedule maintaing and plan-making. Remember the days of land lines-- everyone talked to everyone depending on who answered the phone-- you talked to your roommates parent's, friends' friends, spouse's parents, siblings, etc. The phone was passed around from who ever answered the phone to whoever the caller ultimately was looking to talk to. Now, with cell phones a caller can immediately reach just the individual person they want to talk to --- cutting out all other middle conservations. Again, this is not necessarily always a bad thing... but it does change the nature of talking on the phone. Or take it the next step-- a person is expected to be accountable by phone at all hours of the day... but you can text someone and not even have to talk to them directly. Similar to email, but of course you should have your cell phone on you and be able to text back a response immediately, whereas with email the person may not have internet access on their phone to respond so quickly. Whats the hurry?

As for other uses of the internet I am no doubt a fan of email, picasa, listserves, and online banking. I love seeing other peoples photographs, and in turn see what projects they are up to, how big there kids are getting, and the latest places they have traveled. Love it. Would it be more fun to see these people in person and hear the stories and narratives that go along with the photos-- of course-- but realistically, this is not likely to happen- especially if they live far away.

But that made me think about the other "conveniences" of the internet that remove the chance to see other people face to face. For example--- I can shop online and order something that is delivered right to my door. If I don't like it or it doesn't fit I can send it back. OR I can go shopping with family or girlfriends --sharing an afternoon in conversation, lunch, and get her opinion about the clothes we pick out. Shop, visit, have fun. One option if obviously faster and more convenient-- but I dont think better. Lets look at Netflix on demand-- I am a fan-- no driving to the movie rental place, no scratched discs ruining the end of the movie, etc. But I am really not a fan of "movie night" going from friends deciding on which movie to rent and sharing popcorn (or wine) and good company watching a movie together-- to something so computerized that I can sit on my laptop and watch a chick flick while Chris sits on his laptop four feet away and watches whatever he's watching. Not the same. Not better.

Which leads to social networking--- So far, while I don't exactly "get" facebook-- I can say I've spent a good deal of time looking at photos for old and current friends alike. I can read little tidbits about the ongoings of a whole bunch of people. I can write notes and "like" their news or pictures. But how much time am I spending doing this? A few of my favorite people live less than 30 minutes away, so I ask myself, what is better-- looking at their status and pictures on the computer or call them up, meet them for lunch, or catch up in person over dinner? Again, I realize that things like Facebook allow people to stay in touch over long distances, and even short distances when phonecalls or visits slip thru the cracks due to busy work schedules, kid's naptimes, and full calendars...but is it worth it to accept it for the way it is? How much time do I "waste" online... or is it "wasted time"? Lately I have tried limiting my computer time to the time it takes my laptop battery to die (appx 20 minutes)... this made me feel a little better, but I am going to go one step further.

I am going to do a little internet vacation. For the month of August I am not going to spend any time surfing the internet for recipes, patterns, or whatever. I am not going to read any of the 20-some blogs I follow. I am not going to look at facebook posts. I am not going to shop online or peruse craigs list.

Am I going to stop using my cell phone?-- of course not. We dont' have a landline.
Am I going to stop using email?-- no, but I will only check it at work. I will also use my calendar.
Am I going to stop using the internet all together?-- no I will check the weather ( we dont have tv) and look up directions if I need to get somewhere new. But thats all.

But I will not do google picasa albums, blogs, facebook, or other website browsing. I will not sit down with my laptop when the kids go to bed at night, or check my email while they are napping. Instead I am going to make a "Summer To-Do" list of all the things I can do and people I can see/talk to (face-t0-face) that are fun and not electronic. We'll so how it goes...

;) See you in September

2 comments:

  1. Rock on! I'll miss the pictures of your kids and I enjoy your updates. I've been wondering what you're doing with the 15 pounds of blueberries.

    But, if this is how you take control - that's awesome.

    We misplaced our prepaid cell phone 3-4 months ago. We haven't looked for it and don't miss it. On occasion, I wish I had it in the car in case something wonky happens when I'm on my own.

    There is a digital detox week, I think twice a year. It started out of "turn off your TV week." I think a lot of people feel like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. That is a long post. Sorry! I think the heat was getting to me...

    :)

    ReplyDelete