It's quite long and covers many ideas, but there are two that, in particular, fascinate me. I haven't pondered the ideas enough to form a hypothesis, but I love the questions.
1) The argument is not "the women's movement caused our environmental degradation" - we know historically speaking that social equity can exist in low-input societies, and we know that there is more than one version of feminism. It is my contention that we should be suspicious of this version of feminism's success, rather than laudatory, and that modern industrial feminism has never fully considered the degree to which its assumptions of natural progress are premised on the availability of cheap energy. Instead, what we need to do is ask "If this feminism succeeded not because it was primarily good for women, but instead good for the economy and some women in power, what are the alternatives?"I've never considered that there could be alternate forms of feminism. I think the word has become synonymous with employment success and equality of pay. It's hard to imagine what other forms of successful feminism would look like.
The post supports the idea that industrial feminism is good for the economy - women working has helped the daycare industry, fast food, dry cleaners. Plus, working women can survive divorce more easily and still have money to have their own home/car/washing machine, etc.
So, what do you think....is industrial feminism the only kind? Is employment equality the best goal or focus of feminism?
2) We never seriously questioned the ideology (and it is an ideology) that argued that women and men are more free when they are employed by bosses in the workplace than when they are working for the greater good of their partners and family in the home.
It feels intuitive that money = freedom and that women without money would seem to have fewer choices. But, are women more or less free being employed outside the home?
I have a disclaimer - I know the blog author is a woman. I think if this were written by a man, I would have a very hard time reading it with an open mind. A very hard time. It does freak me out that I can imagine a fundamentalist polygamist saying these things to keep his subservient wives in the home. But, I'm willing to consider the ideas when presented by a woman and think her intent is to question ideas we have held as basic dogma, even if we never really considered their truth or purpose.
My mind is open! Plop some ideas into it!
After some cursory pondering, I think the goal of feminism should be equality of opportunity (Bill says "self-determination"). It seems that employment equality is one step of this - perhaps a means - but I don't think it should be the end goal of feminism.
ReplyDeleteMaybe, in a vacuum, it wouldn't even even be the most important step. I think feminism (and the goals of equality for women) have been profoundly directed by the goals of our society. I don't know if I can say whether industrial consumerism actively molded feminism, or if feminism just conformed to the means of gaining status of the time...you know "Men want good-paying, respectable jobs, so that's what women want too!" Either seems plausible. Perhaps if 1960's culture was focused on creating strong, self-sufficient communities (instead of consumerism), feminism would have very different goals.
More pondering will surely follow...