This particular rant is on clothes and priorities.
As for Clothing...perhaps we are led oftener by the love of novelty, and a regard for the opinion of men in procuring it, than by a true utility. ...Recollect that the object of clothing is, first, to retain the vital heat, and secondly, in this state of society, to cover nakedness, and he may judge how much of any necessary or important work may be accomplished without adding to his wardrobe.
...No man has ever stood the lower in my estimation for having a patch in his clothes; yet I am sure that there is greater anxiety, commonly, to have fashionable, or at least clean and unpatched clothes then to have a sound conscience.
...It would be easier for them to hobble to town with a broken leg than with a broken pantaloon. Often if an accident happens to a gentleman's legs, they can be mended; but if a similar accident happens to the legs of his pantaloons, there is no help for it; for he considers, not what is truly respectable, but what is respected.
This is an interesting post. My family probably wishes I didn't hang onto clothing as long as I do - I still have and wear t-shirts that I got in high school. I downgrade my clothes from something I will wear to work, or in public, to around the house, and eventually to something suitable for getting dirty in when working on projects. After that, things get cut up into rags for important activities like cleaning my bike.
ReplyDeleteAs for patching, I am now inspired to repair my favorite pair of riding shorts. I've worn the seat our of them, and they're nylon so not so great as a rag, making it necessary for me to find a way to reuse/extend their life. Mayhaps a patch is next for them.
Does Salvation Army count?
ReplyDelete