Friday, January 8, 2010

New Year Ideas

I had to get some random thoughts out of my head so I can focus on work today, so here are some pie-in-the-sky ideas for your consideration:

Since recent history has shown that we need to move from a growth-based economy to a sustainable economy, national consumption models must be changed. To me, this is a job for the feds.

Increase efficiency: The easiest changes politically usually are increases in efficiency. So lets adopt a keep-it-simple national policy, eh? Here are some ideas:
  1. Drop a digit of currency. 200 years ago pennies were worth $0.13. Now they are not worth saving. So get rid of pennies, nickels, and quarters and lets pay $3.1 for gas instead of $3.099. Every extra significant digit leads to an increase in energy used for accounting.
  2. Get rid of Daylight savings time. I have heard all the arguments of why it started but I am still left to wonder: whats the point? Pick one side of daylight savings time and keep it.
  3. Standardize for the Consumer. The great untalked-about infrastructure: standards. This year the Europeans required all cell phone manufacturers to use one common charger. I say take this to the next level and standardize all low-power electronics interfaces. Since everything plugs into a computer these days, use the USB plug. Put them in cars. There are a lot of standards like this that could make life simpler for consumers, but companies have no incentives to do this other than being standards compliant. No one is going to make these standards except gov't.
  4. Switch to the metric system. Again, heard all the arguments against this, and it comes down to keeping a tradition. When 0.3 billion people refuse to use the same units of measurement as the other 6 billion people, what do you call it? Silly.
Reduce Consumption. These changes are harder but so obviously needed:
  1. Outlaw energy waste. Obviously we don't take national energy policy seriously or we would not let our politicians start wars in oil-producing countries. We should. When 2 technologies exist that accomplish the same thing and cost the same but one uses less energy, take that choice away from the consumer. For example, outlaw incandescent light bulbs, tank water heaters, and large-format TVs. The energy star program is a good program - lets give it teeth.
  2. Give more tools to the consumer. Have you seen google power meter? Access to good energy usage data has proven to drop energy use. But right now only the power companies have the access to this capability. Conflict of interest, perhaps? Require the power companies to give you access to your real-time energy usage broken down by major appliances. Some already do.
  3. Simplify and redirect the tax code. This is the zinger. Change our main tax vehicle to consumption based. For example, drop the income tax down (and please simplify it) and add a federal VAT sales tax to purchases. Right now we tax income, which incentivizes working less (ie, bailouts). By switching to a sales tax model we tax consumption, which incentivizes saving. I realize there are drawbacks to this (sales tax is the easiest one to evade), but big-picture, this is probably the single best/easiest way to transition us from a growth and consumption based economy to a sustainable economy.
There I feel better. Now I can do some work. Happy Friday!

4 comments:

  1. I love the term pie-in-the-sky, where did it come from? So visual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you actually aren't trying to work, so much as start a discussion which consumes your Friday afternoon and actually prohibits working.

    Expect Bill to take issue with "outlawing energy waste" (but perhaps you knew that already.)

    I'll be back around lunch time with comments...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've inspired me to write a post of my own on this worthy topic (but that won't be today.) In the meantime...

    I agree that the feds have a role in increasing efficiency and helping us live within our means (reducing consumption). And, while I'm not sure specifically what you mean by "a job for the feds," I'd like to see them facilitate the sharing of info and work to create networks, but use a very limited number of mandates. We have a very diverse and large country and I think local solutions are often the best as individuals have a greater stake and interest in their local community than in the country as a whole - example, while I might not really give a crap about Medicaid policy, I sure do want to make sure my family is being well taken-care of at a clean, efficient, well-run hospital.

    Your specific ideas:
    Drop a digit of currency: In New Zealand we encountered "Swedish Rounding" wherein stores refused to use 1 cent increments. I just heard a story about a company in the US doing the same thing. The owner's calculations showed he "lost" a couple hundred dollars on sales over the course of a year, but more than made up for it in time and accounting ease. This isn't so pie in the sky! Start encouraging businesses you patronize to do this. It can be a consumer-based revolution.

    Metric: While a lovely idea for those who work with these things, how does it ultimately lead us to a more sustianable economy?

    Outlaw energy waste: I think there are better ways to reduce energy consumption than outlawing it. Start by making people pay for the true cost of energy, including associated externalities. I believe incandescent bulbs have already been outlawed. They'll be phased out by 2012 or something. Bush did it. I am already hording them for a few reasons:
    *CFLs suck in the winter. Our house is usually cool (because of energy savings in this area), and they just aren't bright enough. We'll switch back to CFLs in the spring.
    *We have a bunch of antique lights (reuse, reduce, recycle) and we can't get CFLs for some of those fixtures.
    Also, there is lots of info out there about CFLs burning out quickly if they are on for less than 15 minutes at a time - which many of ours are. This is a gray area for me. Especially if folks will be producing their own renewable energy - they should be able to make their own choices on how to use that energy.

    I think "Encouraging Self-Sufficiency" is an omission from your list. To me, being owning complete responsibility for your own self and your own future is the greatest tool of a sustainable economy. This is what my random thoughts will be about...

    ReplyDelete
  4. JoAnna is correct! Outlawing energy waste? Why stop with light bulbs and TVs? Everything we consume is transformed fossil fuel. Why not mandate lowest common denominator for all of our economy? No fancy sneakers for little Jimmy, the Nike Swoosh takes energy to stitch on and is not necessary. We can use that energy to make part of a pair of plain shoes for little lucy. Your BMW is not necessary. The overpowered engine and luxury components took more energy to produce and operate. Everyone that gets need based approval for an automobile can purchase a standardized, government mandated efficiency-mobile. That hamburger takes more energy to produce than is necessary - Here, comrade, the line for our bread ration is over this way!

    ReplyDelete